Re: [OM] my new OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] my new OM4Ti
From: Adi Soon <adisoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:09:06 +0800

Hi Michael,

I would characterize it this way. I discovered this in myself when I was in Europe with my M6 and having just bought my OM2n. I use my Leica when I am unsure of a place or of a situation. I guess there is a non-committalness in the way that the camera is small and silent, and you're just looking at a totally clear image in the viewfinder. There is a great sense (for me) of detachment to it and to the situation I am in. I am not sure if I have adequately expressed this. For example, certain cities in Europe were SLR places or rangefinder places. Venice, Florence, London were SLR places. Places like Vienna, Paris, Prague were more rangefinder places. Perhaps its how I relate to a situation or my expectation of it. With my Leica, I can have no expectation and still be in a comfort zone. If things happen I photograph, if not I am happy to have the camera swinging at my side. My Leica also allows me the freedom of catching off chanced moments, spontaneous stuff. And its not down to the fact that its a Leica, its down to the nature of the operation of the instrument.

My Olympus SLRs are more suited for contemplative photography. I have found usually that situations I am comfortable in, or am fairly sure what I want out of the picture taking session are more suited to my SLR's. I find myself composing more consideredly rather than off the cuff with the rangefinder. I take time to focus, enjoy the depth of field zones that pop in and out of focus.

It is interesting that you brought it up because I was thinking about it today. I came to the conclusion that if I were to take only one camera on a trip or holiday, it would be the Leica. If I could take two, the OM4Ti would come along. However if I were only to take the OM4Ti, I would be nervous and uncomfortable. I don't know why. Maybe someone who feels similarly can explain?

--Adi

>Hi all,
>
>I just got my OM4Ti from a fellow list member and I must say that my
>impressions of the camera have been a roller coaster of positives and
>negatives.
>
>First some history, I shoot mainly street scenes with a Leica M6.

Adi,

When do you use your M6 and when do you use the OM?  I am tempted to own
an M6 just because I like fine machinery, but fear that I would not use
it much.  I have several OM - a 2n and two 4T's.

Michael