RE: [OM] cheaper alternative to a 16/3.5

Subject: RE: [OM] cheaper alternative to a 16/3.5
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:43:56 -0700
At 12:02 PM 06/12/2001 +1300, you wrote:
Hi Dan

Great shots and good argument for the Vivitar. The shot down the river has a
real 3-dimensional feeling to it.

Thanks also for sharing pictures of your country. I never imagined you had
mountains there so steep and high, or river gorges so challenging.

As Dan said, those are fairly standard shots any tourist can get. Lake Minnewanka (near Banff, Alberta) is an interesting hike. The "river gorge" picture is (I believe) actually the inlet to the lake, and the water's so clear you can oftentimes see right to the bottom. There's hiking trails on both sides of that "gorge," and if you fall in, you *aren't* climbing out. Better be a good swimmer, 'cause it's a long way to either (a) the nearest shoreline or (b) a shallower part of the inlet.

There's also a drowned townsite in the lake that is a popular destination for divers. Since the lake's in the middle of Banff National Park, no pilfering's allowed.

I've got some pics of Minnewanka, as well as many of the Canadian Rockies. Here's a few Rockies shots:

http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/karen01.html
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/athabasca01.html
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/cavell01.html
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/pinnacle.html