Re: Re: [OM] 50/1.2 Question

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] 50/1.2 Question
From: zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:45:21 -0500
Now this is getting interesting !
What type of lens hood do you recommend for the 50 mm ?
or is it a built in ?

-- Hank

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> At 05:00 12/6/01, you wrote:>      I don't ever recall anything about MC
> variations in the 50/1.2
>either. I am sure they are all great performers though. I have several
>examples of lenses that seem to have different variations in the MC, for
>example , one 85-250 I have shows a lot of green reflection and the other
>is obviously less green. I would be surprised if there is documentation
>on every variation.
>                                                      Frank

Nor have I.
The 50/1.2 is one of the newer lenses in the OM Zuiko line and was
introduced after all the OM lenses were MC.  It's a superb lens.  (Yes, I
have one, and no, you cannot have it.)  Many standard f/1.2 and faster
lenses are a little soft compared to their slower bretheren (design
tradeoffs made to gain super-speed).  Such is the case with the older,
single-coated 55/1.2 G.Zuiko (which has its own following that likes its
"character").  OTOH, the 50/1.2 is a very notable exception to the norm.

Two possible sources of confusion:
(1)  The older, single coated 55/1.2 G.Zuiko with the newer 50/1.2 Zuiko.
(2)  The 50/1.2 with the 50/1.4 which has at least three formulations: SC,
MC with s/n  1M.  This doesn't count other changes
(the originals were Ag-Schnoz, and s/n > 1.1M do not have the "MC" marking).

-- John