Re: [OM] Scanning quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning quality
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:31:57 -0600
I do.  I have owned four different film scanners, including two at 4000dpi,
the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 and the Nikon LS-4000 (my current scanner).  I
also have, on loan from Polaroid, a Sprinscan 4000+ (not sure if they even
have it in production yet).

I've also used a variety of flatbeds.  Right now, my wife has an HP 6350C,
which is a pretty decent scanner.

The difference is HUGE.

The 4000dpi filmescanners, in 16-bit mode, generate a 120MB Tiff file, at
approximately 5500x3500 pixels.  The flatbed might generate files that big,
but the results are limited by the print -- to a much lower quality.

More discussion is beyond this list, but to reinforce and summarize.

The film scanner is better. Much better.

Tom