[OM] Velvia w/Flash (was "Re-introduction")

Subject: [OM] Velvia w/Flash (was "Re-introduction")
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:08:18 -0600
[joel w.]
>>Velvia seems to me to be actually OK for skin tones (my kids
are
>> also in a couple of these shots) with flash illumination as long as there
is
>> enough exposure. (Olaf demonstrated something similar with E100VS some
months ago.)

[olaf g.]
>I think it depends a lot on the type of skin tones. Just like is the case
>for Karol (in the E100VS demonstration shot you mentioned), your kids have a
>slightly coloured skin. I think E100VS works very well for that kind of skin
>(I have no experience with Velvia, other than what I've seen in other
>people's shots), but it seems to me that Velvia may not work so well for
>Caucasian skin tones: the shots I've seen taken with Velvia tend to have
>very redish skin tones. Then, I remember you writing that your kids looked
>like "devils on fire" :) when you shot them with E100VS during the golden
>hours, so perhaps there's more to it than just the choice of film and the
>colour of the skin...

I have come to the conclusion that for my purposes Velvia and E100VS are close
enough that I am just sticking with Velvia as a foil to the somewhat more
accurate/bland Provia F.  I read somewhere that the color temperature of the T
flashes is a little cooler than standard.  With sufficient flash illumination,
Velvia works pretty well for skin tones, even "difficult" caucasians. My son
is quite brown, but my daughter is fair as any caucasian really. But this is a
matter of taste, or tolerance, perhaps.

[olaf g.]
>I have to say that, so far, I'm very satisfied with the colours I get out of
>E100VS. I love it for dull days (when Provia F goes flat) and for when I
>want extreme colour saturation, such as in the Didymium shots I posted last
>week. Should you have missed those: they are at:
>http://www.millennics.com/olympus/various/didymiumtest.html

Wow! That's really saturated all right!  Once again, in comparing Velvia and
Provia F, I have noticed that Velvia pleases me a little more in these
circumstances because there is extra umpphff to the reds.  On the other hand,
when I was shooting in early morning during the spring, I felt that Provia F
rendered the greens more pleasingly to my taste.  Velvia can be a little too
yellowish by comparison.

I tend to keep Provia F in the OM-4T all the time because it is better as an
"all-around" film for me -- quite good for "people pictures," landscapes,
etc., with the additional asset of F280 for fill under any of these
circumstances.  But I do still shoot a lot of Velvia in the OM-2S.  It's nice
to have options!  (We need them to justify having all those bodies ...)

Joel W.