[OM] Re: Vivitar 550FD flash question

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 550FD flash question
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:16:46 -0500
I somehow missed the original question on the digest but I can explain
the 550FD's proliferation of pins.  The markings "M/P/O" stand for
Minolta/Pentax/Olympus.  The 550FD provides dedicated flash for all.  I
own a 550FD and it works fine on my Oly bodies.  It does not, however,
work reliably with a Duo-Sync cord.  I suspect that, in order to
accommodate all the pins some of the pin centers are slightly off-center
from where they would be if designed for a single camera but still
within the envelope of each camera's hot shoe contacts.  The Duo-Sync
fails to match up precisely somewhere.  The 555FD does fire once in a
while with the Duo-Sync cord but not at all reliably.

I use the 555FD on my OM-2s all the time.  I mount it in the hotshoe
along with a T-32 in the BG2.  I keep the small 555FD pointed at the
subject or pointed above for bounce and keep the T-32 pointed up and off
to the side to let it flood the subject with bounced light.  Seems to
work well.  555FD's are cheap and work well.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA