Re: [OM] Re-introduction

Subject: Re: [OM] Re-introduction
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 14:07:36 -0600
At 11:08 PM 12/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Welcome back Joel,

I'm envious of your travels. I finally made it back to Michigan last summer for the first time in about six years.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. I'm enjoying the list again very much.

I am fortunate in having a brother who travels really hard, has a van, and likes me well enough to let me car camp with him. Makes for an intense period of creativity to supplement my usual fare, as well as some very "interesting" male behavior -- from an sociological POV. I don't want to give too many example here, but one of the benefits of including Zion NP in any Utah trip is there is a place for car campers to buy a shower.

Anybody else have a creative rivalry with a sib?

My brother and I have a healthy sort of competitiveness that enlivens these shooting trips. He plans much better than I do and gets us to the right places at the right time. Oddly, since he shoots Maxxums, he would seem to have better facility for fast and accurate shooting, right? No worries about focusing (ha!) and he has that programmable bracketing too. He shoots twice as much film as I do because he brackets wider and shoots in-camera doubles, but I think I get more shots with OM gear, often moving through three or four different settings in the time he takes to execute one. This is a matter of our creative differences more than equipment. He is kind of fascinated with manual focus but felt he had to move to AF as presbymyopia set in. I showed him the viewfinder of my OM-2S with a 2-13 screen and proper diopter, and he winced. He was too deeply into his system to go back or change. He gets very good results, so I don't blame him, but it makes for interesting conversation at times.

Joel W.