RE: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]

Subject: RE: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:45:43 -0800 (PST)
I hear ya. Unfortunatley Kodak is losing the price war
with Fuji and has to make up for it with ridiculous
claims of 25% better pictures or something. I now use
Gold 100 or 200 or Portra 160NC since all these films
make very fine pictures to my eyes. I used to use
Kodak 400 speed film (before "max" during and before
high school) because I was duped into thinking the
same things that all film makers want you to think
(Fuji especially included here) that one could use
this film for any occasion. I found out the hard way
while taking pics of a family reunion during the
Winter. Every single picture was horribly overexposed
even wiht my Mother's 2n at 1000 speed and the 50/1.8
stopped down to 16. I avoid the stuff whenever
possible, only using it when i know I have ot take
pictures in low light and faster action. The grain is
horrible on all color negative films above 400 speed
usually muddy or way too obvious. (Agfa seems to suck
universally, however I've never gotten a pic I've
liked from Agfa slow or fast, but its dirt cheap 10
rolls of fresh film for $5.00 a few years back). B&W
grain on fast films like Tmax 1600, on the other hand,
is pleasant to my eyes. I havent used it much though
(I like color shots better) To my eye Gold 100 and 200
are nearly the same picture and Portra has much better
skintones but everything else is on par with 100.

Mark Lloyd

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/films/maxWhy.shtml