Re: [OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:28:35 +0100
At 21:14 09.12.01, Joel Wilcox wrote:

I hadn't put that together at all. When people say, as I have sometimes heard, that the 75-150/4 is flare-prone, I guess I should truck out this image.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly here, but remember that flare and diffraction are two very different lens flaws (diffraction is not a flaw at all, as there's no way around it).

Squinting at car headlights more. (Is that what you're getting at?) I sometimes do that to accentuate the star effect, and other times put on glasses to sharpen it up or reduce it. Is squinting the equivalent of stopping down the lens? Is that why you're supposed to stop down in order to get this effect better?

The iris in the eye is round. By squinting with you eye lids you are "flattening" the opening for the light to enter, so you can see really strong diffraction effects. Eye lashes will also contribute to the effect.

The genesis of all these questions is a comment/critique from my brother about the smallness of the sun star in my Lake of the Clouds photo. I was wondering if some lenses make bigger sun stars because of their formula. Henceforth, I'll assume not.

One possible explanation is that the sun itself is far stronger when directly over head than when it's at the horizon. The light has to go through much more air and pollution when the sun is low.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn