Re: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]

Subject: Re: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:33:03 -0800
At 07:01 AM 12/10/01 EST, you wrote:
>Hi Barry,
>snip >
>Do you have any info as to how the place is doing where you're filling in ?
>I think it's a case where everybody is just going to K-mart, Wal Mart, or a
>big drug store or supermarket for their photofinishing. It's a shame,
>because they don't know what good service they can get from a local place
>from people who know what they are doing.

Hi George,

We live in a relatively small town and he is one of only 2 1 hr labs here.
We just went through a roll count as he likes to track how he is doing
compared to previous years - and he is up over last year. He turns a
reasonable profit but then he is quick to point out that he doesn't need to
make big $ and he tends to pour money back into the business. He competes
with 2 grocery stores, 2 drug stores plus the folks who drive into Victoria
our nearest "big" town where there are Wal Mart and Costco. Despite this
his service has a loyal following and he really looks after his customers.

I suspect that the Wal-Marts and Costco's are having a much more serious
effect on the small shops than anyone realizes. The Wal-Mart in Victoria
has constant lineups at the photo finishing counter.

Barry H