Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:47:22 -0500
You can see differences in very critical situations between today's aspheric element equipped lenses and yesterday's multi-element lenses. The differences show up especially well in situations where you see chromatic abberations, coma, and astigmatism, like point light sources. Not all the lenses, just the best.

But most photographers don't exploit those characteristics or task the tools close to their limits. Camera shake and poor execution negates many of today's advantages.

The one big area that has had vast improvement is the high-ratio zoom lens. The quality of today's 24/28-200 lens is nothing short of amazing. That's one lens that I wish I had as an option on my OM bodies.

Personally, I question the longevity of today's plastic-glass sandwich concoction that incorporates the all-important aspherical surfaces. I'll bet many won't last. And the keep-weight-down-at-all-costs construction paradigm of today's consumer lenses is a poor formula for longevity.

As an aside, I picked up a Canon Rebel-2000 autofocus SLR camera the other day, and I was FLABBERGASTED at how light it was. It couldn't have weighed 25 oz. (I just checked at canonusa.com: body 12.6oz, lens 6.7oz = 19.3oz !!) For crying out loud, it had a plastic lens mount on the body! I just hope that these things don't get dropped. I guess the plan is that over their 10-15yr life, they will either get obsoleted, destroyed, or abandoned.

Skip imadinosaurandproudofit