Re: [OM] Christmas lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Christmas lights
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:01:30 EST
I'll be the first to post an overly simple answer to your question.  First
let me ask why use 800 speed film.  Unless you just happen to like the extra
grain, I'd use something a bit slower.  Here's would be my set up assuming
you are not using the auto exposure feature of your camera.  Use a sturdy
tripod, close the lens down to get good depth of field (if you want good
DOF), use a locking cable release, expose between 30 seconds and 1 1/2
minutes.  You might want to bracket.  I usually use Royal Gold 200.  If it is
dark and a long exposure you are going to get some pretty spectacular skies.
I'm sure you will get some very technical (and technically correct) answers
and either will work.  Maybe this is "Night Exposures for Dummies."  Some
other ideas, set up across the street and get some light trails from the
passing cars.  Use a cross screen filter.  Use a piece of women's hose over
your lens.  Have fun with it!  Bill Barber