Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:43:20 -0800
From: "Skip Williams" (but also an opinion shared by many I suspect)

> Personally, I question the longevity of today's plastic-glass sandwich
> concoction that incorporates the all-important aspherical surfaces.  I'll
> bet many won't last.

An I think that the new build will in hindsight be an improvement. As a
woodworker I remember the derision that greeted the new Makita tools
made with all plastic housings. Now they are the norm and the only place
to find all metal tools is at garage sales. And look at the auto
industry. Plastics/composites have come a long way since the dash in my
'63 Rambler fell apart. Peronally i feel the future is in the
composites. With the improvement in the material and machinability the
advantages of light weight, insulative properties, cofficient of
expansion, etc. come into their own. Of course there will always be
cheap crap made in any material.

mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West