[OM] Fungus in lenses

Subject: [OM] Fungus in lenses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:47:28 +1300
Recently I contacted an old friend who used to be a forest mycologist, prior
to retirement.

He had no specific information on fungus in lenses, but did make the
comment that in Hong Kong where he lived for many years, both camera
lenses and microscopes were always kept in a dessicator, to provide the
needed protection. That is, an air-tight container loaded with dry silica gel
or
other strong dessicant.

Strikes me that what we call a "chilly-bin" = Coleman Poly-lite Cooler, would
do the job admirably. The silica gel could be poured into the little top tray.
Gel for this purpose can be had by the kg, and changes colour as the
moisture content alters.

There's another compound available. I bought some from Shell Petrol/oil
years ago.

Fine tools used to be sold wrapped in a special kind of paper, to literally
chase away water vapour. Maybe they still are - I haven't bought any since
Adam was a cowboy. This paper is impregnated with a water vapour
repellent. What I bought from Shell ( in a little plastic bucket with lid) in
the
1970's is a white crystalline substance. That's what is in the special paper. I
still have about 2 LB of it. I used to put little containers of it among my
tools
when I was active in boating.

Maybe that could be used with new lenses.

Dessication would be effective with existing infections.

Yesterday afternoon we had some nice sunshine for an hour or two - so I got
out all my lenses for a UV sunbath. 28 lenses, all in a row, sitting on my
window-sill, like chooks on a perch. Some needed it badly. I reviewed the
status of all.

Brian

OM1, 2, and 3,       Brian Swale, 140 Panorama Road,
OM4 and Zuiko.       Christchurch 8008, N.Z.
Make great day,      Tel +64 3 326 7447
THE way to go.       http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/