RE: [OM] Yet another 24 Shift on e*ay

Subject: RE: [OM] Yet another 24 Shift on e*ay
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:06:00 -0800
Bob,

This seems to work. Whether there are practical limits I haven't yet
discovered, I'm not sure. I've just started playing with perspective
correction in Photoshop this past weekend (after it was mentioned on the
list recently), choosing some fresh scans of older negatives that had
notable distortion.

The primary problem I see with it so far is that there's no easy means by
which to make a true vertical reference. As a result one is "eyeballing" the
picture for how much adjustment is required to correct, making this a
decidedly cut-and-fit operation.

The other problem that seems to come into play is that the adjustment is
mirror symmetric around the vertical or horizontal centerline of the image
and I've not yet found a way to change that. Sometimes the distortion isn't
as cooperative as that.

It may be possible to use the free-hand transform function of Photoshop
(instead of the perspective correction function) to do asymmetric
adjustments, but then it seems you'd have to "eyeball" the adjustment twice.

Hope this helps some. In summary, I don't think that Photoshop is going to
take the place of a good shift lens where precision results are called for.

---
Scott Gomez