Re: [OM] I'm feeling really old

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm feeling really old
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:11:15 -0800

Here' a picture of an F for sale rated (w/F36 and prism) as being in EXC+ shape.

http://www.usedcameraphotos.com/D2/0000397.jpg

Here's the link to the camera site's used equipment page (you can scroll down to the Nikon stuff):

http://www.hassy.com/35.htm#Oly

I've dealt with Hawaiian Camera and have had no problems.

By the way, at the moment they have sale on with 100ff everything listed, though there's no notice of this on the site. Ask if interested.

Tris

"even older SLR's such as the Nikon F
are still around working just fine "
Not true. Just tru and fine a meter prism in working condition. The magic
part is the "ring resistor" that is the critical part of the meter. They
fail with age, and apparently replacements went AWOL years ago.

Stephen Gandy, of the classics website, says he has a repairman that can
return these meters to original condition (not as good as the meter in the
OM1, in my experience), but it does cost a few bucks, and I don't use mine
enough to warrent the expense.

That said, I continue to use my F's, almost exclusively with the 55 and 105
micros, with good results. they have has only one CLA since new in early
seventies. I expect my OM1's to soldier on at least as long.

Oh, and re: the Cnaon Rebel. My wife went on safari two years ago. It was
dusty in Tanzania, and the safari was the real thing, tents, etc. She took
her IS3, and another took her brand new rebel. Guess which camera shot a
couple dozen rolls, and which failed after two, due to dust.

Bill Pearce