Re: [OM] OT second curtain sync

Subject: Re: [OM] OT second curtain sync
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:06:27 -0800
on 12/10/01 8:27 AM, gries at gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So, this means that a -2 has second curtain sync, where a -2n does not?
>
> Also, a -3Ti has this where a -4Ti does not?
>
> <snip>
>
> However, if the flash is synchronized to the first curtain, it will
> kill the shutter before 1/4 second is up, because the TTL OTF light
> measurement will decide that the film has had enough light. If it's
> synchronized to the second curtain, the flash will not interfere with
> the available light auto-exposure.
>
> Another example is if you want to take a shot of a passing car at night
> so that its rear lights leave a red trail behind the car. Only 2nd
> curtain flash will do this.

I don't think any OM's have a second-curtain sync option, however the IS-3
when used with a G-40 or the 'off-IS-3 flash adapter' (I can't think of the
name, but it looks like a headless G-40) has a second-curtain sync option. I
haven't tried this yet... but in the manual, they show a picture of a
motorcycle with the trail of the tail light leading up to the
frozen-by-flash image of the motorcycle itself.
--

Jim Brokaw