[OM] And still older

Subject: [OM] And still older
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:48:06 -0600
"Here' a picture of an F for sale rated (w/F36 and prism) as being in EXC+
shape."

Thanks, Tris. That was once my most desired possession, and it indeed brings
back memories. It is interesting that the motor and camera body are
different colors, meaning that it was adapted later in life. It looks from
the photo that the motor was probably owned by a pro, and the camera not. I
can't remember seeing a black F with standard prism in such nice condition
since I took mine out of its box.

Black F's with standard prism are quite a bit more rare than those with any
of the various meter prisms, for obvious reasons. Ones that are available
are usually in pretty bad condition, as they were usually purchased used
from photojournalists. F meter prisms are readily available used, while
black prisms are hard to find in even poor condition. A black sportsfinder,
something that I could actually use in the special circumstances where I
still use my F's, have gone completely stratospheric in price, and ones in
chrome are just a little ridiculous.

By the way, the camera in the photo didn't show the battery pack and
connecting cables. That's the real fly in the F36 ointment, as they are
quite hard to find. I knew someone here that had a mint F35 and F, and a
mint cordless pack, but was missing the short connecting cable to make the
whole thing work.

Also, the camera pictured, if you aren't old enough to be familiar with
Nikon F's, and who is these days, is the ultimate manual camera. Other than
the motor, there is no battery, as there is no meter. The meter is a part of
the removable prism, one part of the Nikon that Oly might have considered
for the flexibility in finders. There were several versions of the metered
prism, but almost none work today.

These days, however, I would be happy with a good MD2!

Bill Pearce