Re: [OM] Quick question about bellows macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick question about bellows macro lenses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:01:50 -0800
on 12/11/01 9:22 AM, M. Royer at royer007@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was wondering if it was ever possible to focus these
> lenses to infinity.
>
> The 20/2 macro and its 3.5 variant
> the 38/2.8 and its 3.5 variant
> the 80/4 auto macro and its manual variant
>
> The 135mm one can go to infinity right?
>
> Also, the 80mm manual macro. Does it have any way to
> control the apeture other than using a bellows w/2
> cable release. The lens looks like it can be mounted
> directly to the body, is this true or will there be no
> picture? Thanks for your answers
>
> Mark Lloyd

Someone will answer for certain, but I think you cannot focus the 20mm and
38mm lenses to infinity because the lens to film distance needed would be
less than the depth of the camera body plus the bellows.

However, I believe the 80mm will focus to infinity on the bellows and the
telescoping auto extension tube, and I know the 135mm macro lens will focus
to infinity on both bellows and telescoping auto tube. Of course, a normal
85mm or 135mm lens will give better images at the distant objects, but the
range could come in handy.

I have a Min*olta auto-bellows and 100/4.0 bellows lens that will cover
infinity to 1:1 or maybe a little higher... on the Min*lta bodies I have it
won't do TTL flash, so I got the Oly bellows too. I'm still looking for an
affordable 80mm or 135mm lens, they seem to go pretty high on e*ay for the
use I expect to get from them. <--- this from a guy with a 24 shift...>
--

Jim Brokaw