Re: [OM] notice

Subject: Re: [OM] notice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:06:58 -0800
John Hermanson wrote:

 I wouldn't ask for it if I didn't have to.  Now it's required as the credit
 card terminal requires it (along with the customers billing zip code) or the
 charge simply won't go through.

The zip code requirement is scary ............ social profiling. Ask any
life insurance or general insurance agent .. some postal code areas in
at least one Canadian city I know of are said to find it hard to get
house and auto insurance. Want to buy a big ticket item on a credit card
and present a socially down scale zip / postal code you might end up
getting the cold shoulder!

I have seen several new gasoline pumps that take bank cards as well as gasoline credit cards. You have to enter your zip code after swiping the card "for your security". Apparently it is used in lieu of a signature. It is ironic that it is not required for the gasoline company's own credit card.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California