Re: RE: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:23:18 +1100

> Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Yes, the lens anyway. These used a well known Australian lens coating
> technology called "Vegemite". Our Down Under list members could
> probably
> elaborate.

Yes, the vegemite coating works in a different way to normal anti-reflection
coatings.  The principle is that vegemite absorbs all visible light allowing
none to
be transmitted or reflected,  it is very efficient at eliminating lens flare
(or flair), but
not so good at allowing the lens to actually form an image.  Experiments are
still
underway evaluating the performance of vegemite in the microwave, infra-red,
ultra-voilet and x-ray parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.  Lenses coated
with
vegemite are now being commonly referred to as "stealth" lenses.

Wayne Harridge

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge