Re: [OM] Intro

Subject: Re: [OM] Intro
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 05:29:14 EST
Hi and welcome, Jonathan.  Wow, that's quite a photographic "journey" to the
OM-2S.

No lens?  First grab a 50mm/f1.8.  They are very good, very cheap ($25 - $50
U.S.), and readily available.  The later "Made in Japan" (around the front
element) versions are reputed to be the best.  For a little more ($75 or so),
you could pick up a faster 50mm/1.4.  The serial numbers over 1,000,000 are
reputedly best for this lens.  The 50/1.2 is a great lens, but will cost MUCH
more ($250 if you're lucky, over $300 if you're not).

One of my favorite lenses is the 35/2.  The 28.2.8 is a very moderately
priced wide.  That's the widest I have at the moment, but following the list
has convinced me I need wider yet. :-)

I haven't used my 85/2 at all yet (what IS wrong with me?) but many love it,
and I'm sure I will, too.

When you say "most highly sought after/popular", you most likely would be
talking the 90/2, 180/2.8, 250/2 and 350/2.8.  Each comes with a pretty steep
price.  In the wides, I guess the 40/2 would be in a "most sought after"
class all by itself, at least pricewise, but the 21/2 and 24/2 also have
their fans.

A good site to study up on lenses is Gary Reese's lens tests:

 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm";>Gary
Reese's Olympus OM System Lens Tests</A>

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

A T20 flash is relatively small, light, and affordable ($30 to $50).  For
more power, a T32 will set you back about $95.  A bounce grip 2 will help you
avoid "red eye" in your flash subjects and support the flash better, as well
as providing a good grip, an extra power source for the flash for quicker
recycle times, and longer battery life.  If you plan on doing much flash
photography, the OM-2S will go through its batteries pretty quickly if it has
the green "flash ready" light in the viewfinder (there is a conversion to red
LED that helps).

The 357 Eveready battery is supposed to be the best battery for the OM-2S.
Always carry spares!

Again, welcome!

Rich