Re: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:24:55 +0000
Jon Mitchell wrote:

> Yup, was just going to say same thing.  Big UK chain of high-street stores.
> Sells largely cosmetics, etc., often has a chemists/prescription counter and
> normally a photo developing machine.  Have had some strangely good results
> from their 1 hour developing actually, which I did not expect !!
>
> They also sell own-brand (although I'm sure someone else makes them and they
> just label them - see string from last week about OEM, etc.) P&S cameras,
> film (yeuch ! - it really is poo !), disposable cameras (!!), and
> (apparently !) slide projectors too !!  I would suppose that this slide
> projector, like their cameras, is made by someone else for them and
> re-badged.  Does it bear any resemblance to well-known named-brands ?

Regarding Boots photo products - I have used their film, just once, the
100 speed slide film.  Took a roll of night shots, accidentally rated at
200ASA in time-honoured fashion.  I posted it off to them with a note
and it came back looking really OK. I took another roll of it in
Australia - results back shortly. I also took a couple of their
disposable cameras with me when I travelled in Central America, for use
in situations where I didn't want to whip the whole OM assembly out, and
the results are obviously not top quality, but really quite acceptable.

I did once order a photo on a mug type gift thing from them, with a
silly photo of my brother on, and that was a complete fiasco - it took
them nearly three weeks to produce it when it should have taken one.
Still, they gave me a complete refund.

My parents have an old Boots projector, which when I visit them I
regularly use to force holiday slide shows on them.  It seems pretty
OK.  It might even be the same brand as yours - I'll check over
Christmas.

On the whole, Boots are not my photographic retailer of choice, but they
could be worse.

Roger