RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:20:12 -0700
> As an aside, I picked up a Canon Rebel-2000 autofocus SLR camera the other

> day, and I was FLABBERGASTED at how light it was.

 I had the same experience yesterday -- not sure if it was a rebel 2000
exactly, but it was definitely a plasticky new wonderbrick. Holy smokes,
that thing weighs nothing..

 It's worth going into a shop and asking to try one out just for comparison
-- the camera+(guessing)28-70 lens felt like it weighed less than just the
body of my OM. The zoom mechanism felt really floaty, too -- no focus, just
twist to zoom, but it required almost no effort to turn it, no sense of
feedback somehow.

 As my OM is pretty scarred already, I have exactly no worries about dumping
it into a backpack with a bunch of other stuff to rattle around -- I'd be
wary of putting that plastic thing anywhere that wasn't surrounded by a
whole lot of padding..

 (interesting that one of the theoretical benefits of the OM system is its
light weight, but I guess only starts to apply when you get further up the
range/onto bigger lenses)

 -- dan