RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:15:42 +1100
> Henry Bottjer-BA [mailto:hcbottj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> The weight savings are great (I've got small hands and so the
> smaller size of the body is good for me). But is it me or does
> anyone else think the concept of having the aperture setting
> and shutter speed all on the lens barell make perfect sense?
> My exposure to other brands is limited but I don't know of any
> other makes that work that way.  Very simple to move one hand
> up and down the lens...

My Canon EOS 50E/Elan IIE has a wheel just in front of the shutter
button that it easy to spin with your forefinger, and another bigger
wheel on the back right next to your thumb (oh, I'm "right-eyed" for
those that aren't). One controls (depending on mode) shutter speed,
and the other aperture. It is *very* convenient and quick. I don't
think this is an exceptional setup though - I think it is in use with
other brands too on some models.

However, this is comparing apples with oranges IMO (so now I look
like I'm arguing with myself <g>)

I totally agree having both shutter speed, aperture (and obviously
focus) all on the lens and all being just a twist, does make "perfect
sense". To me, it is one of the beauties of the OM design. Adjusting the
shutter-speed on top of the camera always seemed somewhat of an awkward
way of doing things to me (though everything's relative, and dependant
on not only what works for you, but what you're subject is, etc.),
seeming to require a release of your hand from the camera, or even
moving your eye away from the viewfinder for those of us with less
confidence (in not dropping the camera <g>).

As usual with my opinions - take them with a grain of salt. I'm fairly
new to photography and have been enlightened from poorly thought-out
opinions before.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz