RE: [OM] (OT) Bagpipes (Was: So Far OT as to Defy Description)

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) Bagpipes (Was: So Far OT as to Defy Description)
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:43:29 -0800 (PST)
Ok you've finally dragged me into this discussion.
Personally I think the bagpipes are perhaps the second
most unique musical instument in the world (first is
the glass harmonica) My Uncle is a skilled bagpiper
and knows tons of song from dirges that will make you
cry to tunes so jaunty you can't help but get upo and
dance. One thing about bagpipes is that they are LOUD
one bagpipe is about the equal of a brass band if the
piper is going with gusto. I love to listen to my
Uncle play, but his family has sometimes almost killed
him. One time his kids got into a really big fight
with each other. He locked them in a room, got out the
pipes and played badly as loud as he could. Most
vicious punishment they ever had, they related to me
later at the family reunion. And that threathas been
hanging over them ever since. They can't do anyhing
about the pipes, since they are heirloom quality all
real wood etc things that he had custom made for like
$15,000 in Scotland!

He's kinda like a grand pianist with his grand piano
with the things, but doesn't play much publicly except
at family gatherings, parades, and some local shows
about 3x a year, but he practices a lot and his skill
to my ear is very very good. As he is a doctor he can
afford all this and this is his major hobby, kinda
like some of us on the list have photography as their
major hobby. But I would say the bagpipes played well
can put out a range of emotion that is unequaled by
any other single instrument ever produced (my opinion
of course.)

Mark Lloyd