Re: [OM] Intro

Subject: Re: [OM] Intro
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:48:35 -0800
on 12/12/01 5:51 AM, Roger Wesson at roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Also,is it true that the zooms that have variable aperture should be avoided
>> totally?
>>

> No doubt more informed voices will speak, but I wouldn't say so.  Fixed
> aperture may well be better quality ultimately, but variable aperture
> zooms are by no means disgraced in comparison.
>
> Roger

I think in some cases allowing the aperture to vary with focal length can
simplify the design with fewer elements and/or different lens
characteristics that may be more easily accurately manufactured, therefore a
lower cost variable aperture zoom can equal the performance of higher cost
fixed aperture zooms. Variable aperture zooms are typically smaller and
lighter also. So I wouldn't avoid them except to evaluate the performance of
the specific lens, not just whether it is fixed or variable zoom.

I find the 65-200/4.0 to be a nice lens, the 35-70/3.5-4.5 is much smaller
and lighter than the 35-70/3.6 and sometimes that is just what you want.
--

Jim Brokaw