Re: [OM] Question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Question.
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:55:20 -0500
Cc: pirjol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answers either at

- the FAQ at http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/oly_faq.htm
- the eSIF at http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif.htm

1. B21) How can I tell when my OM-{1(N), 2(N), 10} was assembled?

1 Japanese character signifying the assembly plant. 1 number representing the last digit of the year of assembly (e.g. 7 = 1977, 0 = 1980). 1 number or letter representing the month of assembly, 1-9 for Jan-Sep, X, Y, Z for Oct-Dec. 1 number representing the pressure plate used. Olympus apparently used pressure plates with slightly different curvatures to fine-tune focus.

Some examples:

OM-1N - S055 factory "S", 1980, May, plate #5 OM-1 - S766 factory "S", 1977, June, plate #6 OM-1N - S0Y5 factory "S", 1980, November, plate #5

2. B24) Are there two different versions of the OM-2?
        Yes, there are.  Sometime in the late '70s the dot pattern on
        the first shutter curtain was changed.  The effect of this
        change was to change the metering pattern to be less
        dramatically center weighted.  The only way to tell which
        version you have is by looking at the first curtain (remove the
        batteries and fire the shutter to lock up the mirror).  If the
        dots are concentrated near the center, you have the old version.
        If they are more spread out, you have the new version.  See
        the following web page for pictures of the two different
        screens:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/om2-curtains.shtml

Skip