Re: [OM] just another Intro

Subject: Re: [OM] just another Intro
From: "Wright, Steve \(Darlington\)" <Steve.Wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:46:25 -0000
Hi there fellow Zuiks!

This and other threads prompts me to say a few words, as I've been lurking
(again) for far too long.

I originally confessed to coming back to the realms of photography after
inheriting my fathers 'mint' OM1 with 50mm 1.4 & T20, in October 1999 - no
doubt I was indulging myself in a 'mid-life crisis syndrome as well !  This
then lead me to a 'bout of Zuikoholism' where I expanded my kit to include
28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, 50mm f1.8 and 75-150mm f4 - you know, the usual
'starter kit' type of stuff.  Oh, I forgot to mention I also bought an OM4
from a private Photoshop, on a commission sale - but I took it back for a
refund as the shutter was faulty.  I then purchased a replacement OM4 from
Jessops (a major U.K. Photo retailer who are buying up virtually all
independent photo stores in the country - I think they have about 280 stores
at the moment) and this one worked O.K.!  I had even enrolled on a City &
Guilds (College) Photography course and re-awakened my interest in black &
white darkroom printing etc. and was enjoying re-visiting the hobby of my
youth. However, being a wearer of glasses/spectacles I was finding more
difficulty in deciding when focus was 'spot-on', so I took an eye test in
December 2000.  One pair of short sighted and reading glasses later, it
seemed to be getting worse!  So I took the sacrilegious route of buying a
new C*n*n E30 with eye-control focus (known as the C*n*n  ELAN 7E in USA)
with C*n*n  28-90 zoom and a couple of non C*n*n additional lenses as well.
Also, feeling guilty about owning this much kit I went back to the C*n*n
dealer and got a retro part/ex value for my OM4 kit (but I kept my fathers
original OM1 gear). The result was the focus was, most of the time, quickly
achieved, but the resultant images lacked that 'Zuiko bite' and sharpness
and that OM general feel-good operating factor.  Over the last 2 months,
after being severely disappointed and suffering from 'withdrawal symptoms' I
have now re-discovered OM's again and also Ebay.co.uk.

To this end, I have gone full circle and now have purchased similar lenses
to my originals (bar the 75-150mm) plus the addition of a 100-200 f5 zoom
(what do you guys reckon to that one - should I keep it or move it on - I
haven't put a film past it yet), a mint Varimagnifier and a good OM2n and a
mint+ XA outfit.  Last week I took delivery from Ebay of a mint+ OM4, in
beautiful condition with the Ti circuit board fitted (the battery check
light goes out after 30 seconds), this was bundled with a 65-210mm Tokina
zoom, also in mint condition (any comments on this non-Zuiko glass also
appreciated).  So I'm off again, completely hooked and deliriously HAPPY
again!!  I'm about to put my C*n*n gear on Ebay to rationalize my kit and to
stop the spouse from wondering why I need 3 camera bags to carry 1 camera
around!

The moral here is, one my stray from the OM fold, but when you see the Zuiko
light you will always return...

By the way, a final question (no doubt asked many times before) was the new
Ti circuit board only fitted as a retro cure for OM4 battery drain problems
or did Olympus fit them as original equipment in the last throes of OM4
production?

And there I was, only going 'to say a few words' - Oh well, back to work.

Steve Wright

North East England
U.K.

P.S.  I've  just acquired a film scanner, so I also hope to indulge in a
little TOPE in the future.  Well, al least TOPE1 for starters!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com