AW: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)

Subject: AW: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)
From: "Dr. Rainer Wagner" <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:50:30 +0100
Hi Joel,
this is a extremely vast field. I do some amateur astronomy on a relatively
simple level, and this topic can induce enormous flame wars even in the
astronomy community. Just a few questions: how old is your son? Did you
already try binoculars on the night sky? Did you already contact people who
do these things?  a pair of good Binos like 10x50 or so (beware of zoom
types) give magnificent views which will keep you busy dicovering new things
for months or even longer. There are good publications for beginners also in
the net, a quick google search " telescopes for beginners" gave quite a few
useful hits.
So ,  my advice would be: start with binos, a good book and, if possible,
find astro amateurs in your vicinity. I dare say: all of them are helpful
people , and they will let you have a look through a telescope , before you
have to buy one.

OM-content: I myself, just an hour ago, tried to capture the ISS
(International Space Station) on film with my OM2, 50/1,8 on Kodak supra 800
whilst passing over Cologne!

Have Fun
Rainer