Re: AW: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:49:17 -0800

I buzzed through the archives for info about telescopes and adapters for OM
bodies and got lots of great info from OM list titans Paul Schings and Chuck
Norcutt. Thanks guys (well after the fact).

I'm not likely to become an astronomer. I'm not likely to use a telescope to
photograph anything, but we were thinking about a telescope as a "family
holiday gift," and it is possible that my son may conceive an interest in
nocturnal sky lore and want to try to photograph something someday.

Or maybe not.  Hence my caution about a large investment.

Are the various Meade brand scopes one sees at Walmart etc. OK?  Are they
good
enough to encourage (rather than discourage) interest?  Are they worth
getting
adapters for at least for starters if the boy wants to try a shot of the
moon,
etc.?

Joel W.

Joel,

Here is an excellent page on buying your first telescope:

http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California