Re: [OM] 200/4 -vs- 200/5?

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/4 -vs- 200/5?
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:05:52 -0800 (PST)
I have owned both.  I'm on my second 200/4 now (first one got
broken elements).  The 200/4 is better to focus with.  The F5 is
just a hint too slow.

The 200/4 also makes (with extension tubes) a most wonderful
macro lens.  The bokeh is dreamy.  However, stopped WAY down, it
gives awesome DOF and sharpness.  Size/Weight of the 200/4 is
nearly perfect.

Compared my 200/4 to Joel Wilcox's 180/2.8 and found that his
lens possessed a nice "pop" when focusing in comparison to the
200/4.  Sharpness was similar, contrast was better in the 180.
Also shot the same scene with the IS-3 at 180mm.  Sharpness was
close enough to be essentially identical.

But I was able to use my tripod.  Gotta make sure you have your
quick-release plates with you and not in the back of your Volvo.

AG-Schnozz