RE: [OM] Duty from UK question.... in a pickle

Subject: RE: [OM] Duty from UK question.... in a pickle
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:45:55 -0700
> I am scrambling trying to figure out what I may be charged.
> The best I see is 20p to 10%+

 According to http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/hongkong.html (which points
at http://205.197.120.17/scripts/tariff.asp):

 - - -
Using the above U.S. tariff lookup link, we find that tariffs for lenses and
film are also low duty items (e.g., 3.2% and 3.7% respectively). So you can
see why U.S. Customs agents rarely bother to waste their time to hassle
(voting) tourists to collect them.
 - - -

 checking, the link says that the tariff code is 90021140 ("Projection
lenses, mounted, and parts and accessories therefor, for cameras, projectors
or photographic enlargers or reducers") it says the rate's 2.45% (I think;
it's a complex page..)

 Also from that page, total value of lens imports is $46,376,000 dollars.

 -- dan