Re: [OM] Duty from UK question.... in a pickle

Subject: Re: [OM] Duty from UK question.... in a pickle
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:35:33 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Am I in a pickle or what?
> Most folks seem to fib in a favorable way on the custom's papers.  How about
> getting screwed in the other direction?

I don't know about the USA, but I've had this happen in Canada.  Over here
you just need to show reasonable proof of the actual value paid and they'll
use that value.  You must have some record of the payment transaction, use
that along with any other proof (emails?).  I'm sure you must have a similar
process.  Of course here we have to pay the full taxes first, then you get
the item, then you get to ask for your tax back.  I like your system better :-)
                        -mark