[OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?

Subject: [OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 02:19:31 -0800 (PST)
Well I am a total newbie to flash photog and vcould
use some pointers. I wanted to get rid of red eye in
my pics and a BG2 certainly cured that. I then got an
F280 and T-32 to augment my flash collecion which
prior to my recent bout of Zuikoholism consisted of a
single well scuffed t-20. So I have eliminated redeye,
but I now face a new challenge. Ghosts. I am of a
Northern European background (non pc: white as white
can get) as is most of my family. I find that the
flashes I am using, although certainly adequate in the
illumination dept. Are in many cases way too strong
and make me and my family look like they just bathed
in bleached flour. My dad, who is a sun nut and likes
to roast till he is the color of a ripe tomato,
actually looks pretty good right now since he retains
that nuclear tan throughout. (yes we all know about
skin cancer I'm not talking about that) Unfortunatley
the rest of us who wear sunscreen do not have a good
color under flash photog. I was wondering what I could
do to either lessen the flash power to acceptable
levels, or configure the lens to take a good picture
in spite of the flash. Thanks for any answers.

Mark Lloyd