Re: [OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash techniques for total beginners?
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:19:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, M. Royer wrote:
> I find that the
> flashes I am using, although certainly adequate in the
> illumination dept. Are in many cases way too strong
> and make me and my family look like they just bathed
> in bleached flour.

> I was wondering what I could
> do to either lessen the flash power to acceptable
> levels, or configure the lens to take a good picture
> in spite of the flash. Thanks for any answers.

What kinds of background to these pictures have, and how far away is it?
Your T20/T32/F280 will be influenced by the background illumination
(which falls off with the square of flash-subject distance).  If your
backgrounds are usually much darker than your subjects you could tell
the camera to underexpose a stop or two (use the compensation dial/film
speed ring).

You could also experiment with a TTL cord, a diffusing reflector (piece
of white fabric over plastic attached to T32 by rubber bands in my case)
and split the BG2 so you can move the flash way off to one side.

This will:

        give you a softer light
        give you side-lighting (better for face contours etc)
        remove the last chance for red-eye even with a telephoto

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |