Re: [OM] (OT) Bagpipes

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Bagpipes
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:43:40 -0800
I admire your scientific and logical reasoning Ken, but I am happy merely to accept that bagpipes, through a lucky combination of pitch selection and volume, carry their notes a long way. This makes them ideal for letting a large number of excited people know that their clan chieftain expects them to do something heroic for the duration of the sound. It is also interesting that the drones (the constant notes for the uninitiated...) sound similar to the throat music from Tibetan monks (have I got the country right?).

The pipes are also pretty good for dancing to... :>).

Chris

Thank you for explaining that they are best heard far away. Obviously, that is seldom done. :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California