Re: [OM] OM macro systems

Subject: Re: [OM] OM macro systems
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:33:50 +0000
I don't do that many macros; not enough to justify a dedicated macro lens. A practical alternative, especially in the field is a set of extension tubes.

I have two sets: the 7/14/25 OM auto tubes, and the Vivitar 12/21/36 auto tubes. The OM tubes are typical high build quality. The Vivitar, while not OM build quality (the flanges), are quite sturdy (aluminum), very functional, and their optics easily equal that found in the OM tubes. Yes, a tube set can be stacked (there are limitations on how many can be stacked though). IOW, stacking seven or eight tubes is not recommended.

I've used the tubes with the 200/4, 135/2.8, 85/2, 35/2, 24/2 and 18/3.5 Zuiko lenses. The 135/2.8, 85/2 and 18/3.5 have worked exceptionally well with extension tubes. A tube set is something to consider if you cannot afford or do not want a dedicated macro lens.

-- John