Re: [OM] Midwest meet'n'greet

Subject: Re: [OM] Midwest meet'n'greet
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:15:38 +0000
At 15:31 12/15/01, you wrote:
And there are a couple of us smack dab in the middle of the rest
of you here in Iowa.

Or is that the middle of nowhere?

I know you all are dying to see my collection of silver-nosed
lenses.

AG-Schnozz.

The mid-west spans a large region. "Nowhere" is equally distributed everywhere in the mid-west. I'm not going to let Iowans make claim to being somewhere more nowhere than the rest of us also nowhere, but somewhere else. The playing field for that is very level across the entire region.

A look at the map shows eastern Iowa *is* close to its geographic center, presuming nowhere spans Ohio to Nebraska, and Kansas to Minnesota and the Dakotas. Oklahoma, while it can also claim nowhere status, looks like a stretch.

From the east end (Ohio and anywhere that's nowhere, but closer), I-80, I-70/I-74/I-80, or I-74/I-80 gets you there. Avoiding driving through the somewhere of Chicago saves considerable time even if it adds a few miles. Indianapolis claims freeway congestion, but it's only a fourth-rate "wanna-be." Notable exceptions: "Race Day" for the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400.

I just drove through Iowa and Nebraska on I-80 about a month ago (multiple destinations in Utah and California). Stopped a couple of times in Wyoming during my return to make some landscape shots. This is very hazardous along an interstate highway (likely illegal also) and it's the reason I didn't do it in Nebraska or Iowa, although I'm kicking myself now for not doing it. It was clear sky and a magnificent sunset illuminated the stubble in corn fields just harvested that day. With the sun only a few degrees above the horizon, it turned the normally "dirty yellow" stubble into glowing gold. Contrast this with the sihlouette of a solitary tree, barn or windmill against the sky. It only lasted about a half hour. Visions of this beauty and failure to photograph it will haunt me for a very long time. Next time I'm allowing more travel days and driving U.S. highways for at least portions of it outside major metro areas, not I-80.

Those who claim the mid-west is a boring "middle of nowhere" expanse of flat fields haven't learned how to "see" it (or hear it when the corn is growing). Travel weather is a consideration until Spring. April/May provides new leaves in varying shades of green.

-- John