Re: [OM] Using OM 35 RC with S20 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Using OM 35 RC with S20 Flash
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:33:13 -0800
on 12/14/01 11:40 PM, Clemente Colayco at litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi
>
> Would anybody there have tried using the above combination? I tried using it
> setting the aperture in F 4 as specified for ASA 200 film. I am curious to
> know if this flash unit will function under the "flashmatic" system
> described in the manual. From what I understand the flashmatic system
> controls the flash based on the focus distance one sets when taking
> pictures. Will this work on the S20 which as I know uses an automatic
> thyristor controlled flash design?
>
> Regards
>
> Titoy

If the 35RC has a similar flash system to other compact 35mm rangefinders of
that era, the 'flashmatic' system OR an auto flash are what you want. The
flashmatic systems control the lens opening based on the focusing distance,
so the f4 that you set probably got changed by focusing. Then the auto-flash
controls the amount of light output based on a sensor *in the flash unit*.
So you need to either use the flashmatic system OR the auto on the flash,
but not both...
--

Jim Brokaw