Re: [OM] OM shift

Subject: Re: [OM] OM shift
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:04:45 +0000
At 00:29 12/16/01, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Maybe my imagination is running away with me. Even
stranger is that the lens might be preferable in the
setup it is in as what is a 24mm perspective
equivalent to in MF photography. I think MF fisheye
lenses start at 30mm and I read somewhere (memory very
fuzzy here) that Hassleblad made circular fisheye for
tire inspections that was in this range. So it might
just be a very cool lens for MF.

MF full-frame fisheyes are 30mm. They cover 180 deg. across the diagnoal, same as the 16mm Zuiko. Unless Hassey made only a handful of custom lenses that are virtually unknown among MF buffs, the only production MF circular fisheye I'm aware of is the 19mm f/4.5 for the Kowa Six (also fits the Six MM and Super 66):
  http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/bronfe.html#article
It has a magnificently enormous protruding convex front objective. This may be the one you're thinking of. These Kowa lenses are exceptionally rare.

Nikon supposedly made 15 custom MF "cloud cameras" with circular fisheyes. According to the information I found on them they are dedicated, specialized cameras with the lens permanently attached.

-- John