[OM] OM-2n didn't advance the film - why or how?

Subject: [OM] OM-2n didn't advance the film - why or how?
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:11:28 -0500
Cc: lmwoods@xxxxxxx
Last week I pulled out one of my two 2n's - the one with a Winder 1
attached - to take pictures at a dance recital.  I had thought it was
empty, but the film counter was at 15. (See, there is a disadvantage
to having more cameras than you can track!) In any case, the ASA
setting (400) was what I was planning to use, so I decided to start
shooting on the existing roll.

After taking over a dozen pictures, I was mildly preturbed to realize
that I hadn't come to the end of the roll. ( I was using 24-exposure
rolls)  I started rewinding, and became very preturbed when I felt the
film snap all the way into the cassette after only four or five turns
of the rewind crank.  But I had no time to ponder what was wrong.
I loaded a fresh roll, and resumed taking pictures.

After the film was processed, the second roll was normal, but the first
roll
had only four frames exposed, three from the prior picture session, and
one with multiple exposures.  Over the course of the presumably 20 or
more multiple exposures, the frame had crept forward about 3mm.

The multiple exposure roll of film  was physically normal - no damage to
sproket holes or anything like that.

After trying to come up with explanations, I'm at a loss:

Theory #1: The rewind knob was stuck in the rewind position.
- Unlikely because I don't recall noticing a problem when I started to
rewind the film.  Surely I would have noticed the knob was already
turned.
Also, it obviously came out of rewind mode OK for the second roll.

Theory #2: Improperly functioning wind mechanism.
- Unlikely.  Why would it have worked OK for three out of presumably 14
pictures from the first time I used the camera, then quit, and then
operate flawlessly for the second roll?

Can anyone come up with an explanation of what went wrong?

BTW, I get the digest of the mailing list, so won't be able to quickly
answer any folow-up questions.