Re: [OM] Films, freezers and refrigerators

Subject: Re: [OM] Films, freezers and refrigerators
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:13:10 +0000
I read in a couple of past digest's, yall were talking about keeping film cold and even in the freezer. I have some questions about that.

1. How is the best way to do this?

Well first you open the door ;-)

2. How do you "thaw" it out?

I put it in my pocket for a while

3. Doesn't this get moisture in it?

The golden rule is to not open the plastic container until it was fully warmed up or thawed out. There is very little air in the container to start with, I believe film is packed in a fairly dry air environment so there is very little moisture inside the container. If you open it while the canister is still cold, you let in lots of comparatively warm humid air from which lots of moisture can condense.

4. Is it best to put film in the freezer, or refrigerator?

I think that depends on how long you wish to keep it. If you want to keep it for years then freezing is probably best but if you just wish to keep it for a few months to a year, the fridge is probably sufficient.

Smitty