Materials use in cameras WAS: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Materials use in cameras WAS: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:52:39 -0800
OUCH! That's more than I paid for my used Zuiko 300 f4.5! While I will be
the first to aknowledge that there is more to the cost of an item than just
materials and production cost, that price is truly amazing. And I always
though that the price of Contax and Leica hoods (easily in the $100 range
for some) was excessive!

Titanium (as used in the OM-4/3T) has the advantage of being very durable,
resistant to dents and corrosion, and relativly light. There are indeed
some advantages to this, but whether it is really worth the cost or not is
a valid question. I suspect there are less costly stainless steels that
would work equally as well. It would add a slight amount of weight. There
is certainly a marketing compnent here as well. I don't know that I would
go so far as to say it is a marketing scam though.

Jim Couch