Re: Materials use in cameras WAS: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: Materials use in cameras WAS: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:07:33 -0800 (PST)
A marketing scam would be to add something that really
doesn't add anything to the value of the item, but
saying it does. For example if Olympus put out a 3-10
scrren that was coated in synthetic diamonds or
something and said that improved focusing and
brightness when it really didn't and they charged $500
for this screen THAT would be a marketing scam. The
titanium body plates, on the other hand, really do add
extra durablility to the camera that a regular plate
of brass or aluminum wouldn't have. Sure titanium is
of course part marketing as there are metals that
could have added that durability without adding so
much cost and maybe only a few grams of weight, but
titanium is a much cooler metal anyways. Titanium is a
tough metal to work with from what I hear and so that
adds to the 'prestiege' of the camera. So do I think
the switch to titanium was based at least in part due
to marketing: yes. Do I think it is a marketing scam:
no

Mark Lloyd