Re: [OM] re: photodo.com

Subject: Re: [OM] re: photodo.com
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:57:23 -0800
ALL lens test and ratings should be taken with a grain of salt, even
those of our resident tester Gary Reese. Most of these test are on one
individual lens. There is no way to know how representative a sample
that lens is. There is also more to lens performance than a LPM, MTF
and/or SQF grades measure or indicate. While sharpness and resolution
(which seem to be the most commonly evaluated performances) are
important, they may not be as important to you. It may differ from lens
to lens for you. For me, the color balance of my lenses is one of the
most important characteristics, but you rarely see this evaluated. In
some of my lenses, sharpness ratings are of less importance because I
will be hand holding that lens 900f the time. On the other hand, a
lens that will be used for tripod shooting, this will be more important
to me.

I am not saying that lens tests are worthless, but, they are just a
single piece of information in evaluating and selecting lenses. For me
color balance, bokeh, size, and handling are also very important.

Jim Couch

Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Photodo ratings really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

BIG SNIP -