Re: [OM] Using OM 35 RC with S20 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Using OM 35 RC with S20 Flash
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 05:14:54 +0100
: If on Flashmatic, it does seem that the T 32 is a bit off the 28 setting
on
: the 35 RC but, I was assuming I would set the OM 35 RC in manual mode at a
: speed of 60, set the aperture in the camera to match any of the two
aperture
: values in the T32 when used in auto mode. This is the same we would do
using
: the T series on an OM 10.
:
: Should work, right?

Sure, but like I said - the GN's 32 and 28 are so close that the flashmatic
system could also be used. Remember the GN formula where the distance is
halved with every two F stops, so the difference in GN's of 4m quickly
shrinks when the lens is stopped down for shorter distances:

F    GN32  GN28     (diff)     GN20
--   ----  ----     ------     ----
F1   32m.  28m.     (4m.)      20m.
F2   16m.  14m.     (2m.)      10m.
F2.8 12m.  10.5m.   (1.5m.)     7.5m.
F4    8m.   7m.     (1m.)       5m.
F8    4m.   3.5m.   (0.5m.)     2.5m.
F16   2m.   1.75m.  (0.25m.)    1.25m.
F22   1.5m. 1.35m.  (0.15m.)    0.9m.
F32   1m.   0.9m.   (0.1m.)     0.6m.

This also learns that a flash with a GN of 20m. is really more appropiate
for the 35RC - it allows you to use the flash at the closest focusing
distance of 90cm at the smallest aperture of F22.

hnz