Re: [OM] Olympus' Secret Wyoming Factory

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus' Secret Wyoming Factory
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:24:40 -0500
Just west of Cheyenne, as you climb up towards the divide, on the south side of the road are underground missile silos that have been converted. At least one is (or was when I lived in Laramie) used as a home for a family.

Gregg

Just got my chromes back that contained part 2 of my trek to northern California via I-80 (plus my TOPE 8). I have a photograph of what must be Olympus' secret Wyoming factory!

It was early in the morning near the Continental Divide basin. I was headed east on I-80 and the light ground fog had not quite burned off yet. This area of Wyoming near the Continental Divide is *not* heavily populated (except by cattle). [OK, OK, NONE of Wyoming is heavily populated.] What appeared to be an interesting vertical pattern in the fog near the horizon slowly materialized through into plumes of smoke or steam. I was amazed at their size and density, thinking they were natural vents from an underground hot spring and the moisture in the hot humid air from them was condensing as it rose into the very cold morning air on the surface.

I watched this with great interest as I drew closer, taking care not to get flattened by the tractor-trailers whizzing down the interstate at 80+ MPH. Suddenly, a factory under appeared through the fog under the plumes. The steam was not an interesting geological phenomenon, it was coming from a factory's stacks! Stopped and photographed it using the 135/2.8 telephoto.

No city, no visible roads, no trucks or cars, no cattle, not even a small cluster of single-wide house trailers. Just this factory on a hilltop out in the absolute middle of nowhere. It was obviously operating because of the steam coming from its stacks.

Now it all makes sense. This MUST be Olympus' Secret Wyoming factory!! With absolutely nothing else around it, who would know about it? No wonder my camera almost leaped out of the bag into my hand after I stopped and opened the trunk. It recognized HOME! Nobody forgets their birthplace.

Tomorrow I'm sending out one of the slides of it for scanning and will post it when the CD comes back.

-- John