Re: [OM] OM shift - modified?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM shift - modified?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:17:08 -0800
on 12/17/01 4:41 PM, Marc Lawrence at mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Giles [mailto:cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>> I can think of no way of breaking this to you gently Brian, but there
>> are truly evil people afoot in this world who do indeed monkey with
>> the very best of our beloved zuikos.
>> <snipped>
>> There is this 24mm f2.8 shift, which probably has been modified and I
>> have heard of several other 24mm shift being adapted to suit evil
>> purposes.
>
> For those curious....
>
> I rang the guy regarding the lens. He advises that the (still for
> sale) lens has been modified, and is stated as "fair" condition
> for the following reasons:
>
> (FWIW, he was quite forthcoming with all of the below info)
>
> - I'm not totally sure what this is called, but you know
> the lever in the lens-mount that stops down the lens? Well
> it has been removed, so you would have to use stop-down
> metering if you used it. He has and still uses it on an
> OM4 (the above is what he stated to me. If this doesn't
> make sense, sorry, but I'm claiming "newbie" as my excuse <g>)
> - Due to the nature of the medium format, he has modified
> the "cookie-cutter" hood which would vignette otherwise
> on this format.
> - Condition: fair. This is probably the most important point.
> When he bought it at such a low price, there was a
> substantial crack that went all the way through the front
> element. He had a camera-repairperson look at it, and they
> rotated the element to a less flair-prone area of the mount
> (he described the "deepest" part of the lens hood) and also
> did some "glueing" (it wasn't "glue", but that'll do as good
> as any) to prevent dust that was making it's way via that
> crack to the inside of the lens. He suggests this has solved
> any problems.
>
> He *did* offer an example of a picture taken with this lens
> (and on his OM4), which is here:
>
> http://www.culture.com.au/virtual/buddha.htm
>
> Cheers
> Marc
> Surry Hills, Sydney, Oz

FWIW, Olympus (Japan, at least) can replace the front element. Cost is
30,000 yen plus CLA labor and shipping costs. Came to ~$400 altogether to
redo the 24 shift I got... I have comparison pictures taken from
approximately the same spot before and after, due back Wed, if anyone is
interested I can email them to someone who can put them on a website.
--

Jim Brokaw