Re: [OM] Zuiko OM 35mm digital solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko OM 35mm digital solution?
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:52:39 -0800
In a message dated 12/17/2001 John (Pandionhalietius) writes:

<< This might work for those who want to use Zuikos made for 35mm on a
digital
format. I have a Bower lens adapter box that list an Olympus to Nikon
lens mount
available. If so, you could mount that 250/2 or 350/2.8 on a digital
back and have a
pretty nice system.  Probably have a glass element to insure infinty
focus. >>

That does sound interesting...especially with the 1.4x magnification
factor you get with Nik*n and Can*n digital bodies.

<< Side note:  Digital future is playing a bigger role on lens brand
selection.
When I went for long, big glass, I went with a  Nikon 600/4 first,
because
Olympus doesn't have one and second, the prices of digital bodies is
coming
down as the quality is going up. Also lists a Nikon lens to Olympus
body.   Nikon 600/4 on an OM 4 maybe?
Sounds nice to me. >>

Yes, it does. Or non-selection as the case may be for those of us OM
film camera users who opted for the lower cost way out of going digital,
i.e. an E-10 or E-20. Take a look here at some of the long lens
combinations available: http://www.belgiumdigital.com/ I know, to
someone accustomed to big fast professional glass, the converters may
not be well accepted. But, 420mm and 588mm 35mm equivalent focal length
with f2.8 speed sounds pretty appealing to me. And to think, I could
have a TCON-300 for my E-10 for just a little more than my Nik*n using
friend payed for his 300/2.8 lens hood! A bargain if you ask me and the
results on belgium digital look pretty darned good. Good enough for my
digital expectations.

If I want better, I will shoot film (which I fully plan to continue to
do for the foreseeable future). Of course my big gun for film withers
away at only 490mm f4, but that seems sufficient for my needs. (Not all
of us in the motorsports world use 600mm lenses.) I can go 700mm f5.6
(350/2.8 with 2XA) but only with a potentially noticeable drop in image
quality. But you knew all that...you had one of the big white ones for a
time ;-)

On the other hand, a good AF 80-200/2.8 and matched 1.4X converter is a
pretty awesome combination with a D1 or D30 and is something I am seeing
more and more of out there. No argument that the E-10 is a tad on the
slow side...but it works real nicely if you approach it as if it were a
non-wunderbrik like an OM. For me, the transition was easy.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com